If you look at a harmoniously developed athlete, his wide back, powerful quadriceps, big biceps, other muscles of the arms and, of course, his powerful shoulders, are striking. It is these muscle groups that create the necessary impression of a good development of the muscles of the back, legs, arms and body as a whole. In sports such as bodybuilding or body fitness, this is very important when judges evaluate the appearance of an athlete during a competition.
And why is it still important for a bodybuilder and athlete to have generally developed shoulders? What are the most effective exercises on the shoulders? Why is it very important to perform the basic exercises on the shoulders? What are the best exercises with dumbbells for arms and shoulders? We will try to answer all these questions as fully as possible.
The brachial, or deltoid, muscle is involved in the movement and extension of the arms. This muscle is also a stabilizer, not allowing the movement of the arms during movement to deviate from the planned trajectory. Besides the horizontal movements of the arms, the shoulders help us to carry out the vertical ones, for example, to lift any load on the shelf. In the power sports disciplines, the deltoid muscle is involved in the implementation of such exercises as bench press, bench press, sitting dumbbell press, dumbbell lifting to the side, lifting of dumbbells in front of you and so on.
If an athlete has injured his shoulder for any reason, then he will most likely endure a number of restrictions in performing many basic exercises, as he will have difficulty with a full extension of his arms. By the way, this is a very unpleasant kind of injury. And often it is the injured shoulders that force the press staff to prematurely end their career. Therefore, be sure to follow some measures to prevent injuries, warm up carefully and do not pursue training for weighting – in terms of work with too heavy a weight.
Why is it important to start from the base
There are different exercises for the shoulders, the best of them is the base: bench press and bench press. Why? The fact is that in basic exercises all the major muscle groups work in a single complex. Therefore, huge muscle arrays are pumped simultaneously.
So. Once again about why the base will always be better and more important than the back room:
- This is necessary for detailing and working out small muscles (all kinds of brachialis, posterior deltas, etc.). When you have already “molded” the main muscle mass due to the development of muscles of the shoulder girdle / back / legs, you can refine small parts with basic exercises. Since our body grows evenly, the larger arrays we simultaneously load, the greater the overall growth effect.
- Without serious weight loads in basic exercises, it is impossible to do insulation really cool. In basic exercises in the complex works a huge number of muscles. And, accordingly, the greater the result in the basic exercises, the stronger the individual muscles (triceps / delta, etc.).
- Serious bodybuilding classes, unfortunately, are associated with pharmaceutical support of the body. And this is truly effective only against the background of a good power base, prepared by the hormonal system and the heart.
How to write a training plan
A set of exercises for a simple amateur should be as minimal and as expedient as possible.
- Always 80% of the training volume is the base, that is, exercises with a barbell (bench press, for example, involves the chest, triceps, biceps, forearm, deltoid muscles). As mentioned above, this is a bench press, push-ups (they also use the chest and arm muscles, like a bench press) and a bench press (more emphasis on shoulders and triceps). This is the best exercise on the shoulders. We carry out at least 4 exercises from 4 approaches.
- Maintenance (exercises on the shoulders with dumbbells) is minimal. We work out only the largest muscles involved in the movement, or the most lagging muscles. Be sure to delta, triceps, latissimus, thigh biceps. We pay a lot of attention to the lower back. Periodically load the chest, quadra.
- For training – no more than 3-4 exercises with the base and utility room.
An example of a training plan for pumping the shoulder muscles and arms (the exercises presented with dumbbells are the most working).
- Press lying: 4 to 10-12 rep.
- Stand up: 4 to 10-12 rep.
- Lifting dumbbells in front of you: 3 to 12-15 rep.
- Dumbbell bench press sitting: 3 to 12-15 rep.
We carry out such a complex once a week. In addition, do not forget to train the legs, back and other large muscle arrays.
What exercises to perform
Perhaps, we will analyze in more detail only the basic workout exercises on the shoulders with a barbell.
How to press? The width of the grip is practiced either wide (wider than shoulder level) or medium (at shoulder level). The first option is more popular, it uses a much larger number of muscles in the work and also reduces the amplitude of movement compared to the average grip. When using medium grip, most of the load falls mainly on the triceps.
The position of the elbows is also very important. In the power version of the bench press, the elbows are at an angle of 45 degrees, and not under the straight, as in the classic builder version. In the classic version of the emphasis of the load goes more on the chest because of this position of the elbows. In the same power variant, with the elbows positioned at an angle of 45 degrees, the deltas and triceps are additionally included in the work.
It is desirable that a partner take a lot of weight. This will eliminate the negative load on the shoulder joint, save a lot of strength, you will not be forced to keep balance with the barbell. In any case, when you shoot, you squeeze the neck as tightly as possible – as if you want to tear it apart. All your muscles are tense, especially your forearm.
After removal, we transfer the bar to the level of the lower pectorals and firmly fix it in a stationary state with elbows fully extended. The lowering in the power press is carried out as much as possible under control, with tension being put on, so to speak. In other words, we work as a spring, which the more strongly compressed, the greater the potential force that it can release.
At the lowest point of the maximum voltage. At the same time, we do not press the barbell into ourselves, but hold it over the chest, slightly touching it. This will save us a lot of effort when squeezing compared to the first option. We create on a powerful exhalation a powerful effort synchronously with the whole body to push the bar upwards. There is an opinion that it is necessary to exhale already during the exercise, in order to facilitate the exercise itself, and to disrupt – on the delayed movement. But, based on years of experience, it will be somewhat difficult for many athletes.
Fix firmly in the final position with elbows fully extended, and only then place the bar on the rack. Otherwise, you can unfavorably load the shoulder joint.
Set the height of racks for squats at chest level. To remove the projectile from the pillars, we approach it, put our legs strictly under the fingerboard, sit down under the barbell so that it rests firmly on the chest. We try to transfer more load on wrists bent back. We try to keep the elbows upright. Keep a look strictly forward. From this state we remove the bar from the racks, move back. Legs set narrowly, straightened. We collect air in the chest. And powerfully squeeze the projectile up, trying to lead him over the head. Caution: keep your balance! Then gently return it to chest level and repeat the exercise.